Singles Out Loud

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Prayer for Past Hurts

Prayer can move mountains, even the walls that have gone up in our hearts because of disappointment with broken relationships. Chin up! You don't need plastic surgery to lift up that sagging countenance of years seemingly wasted on the wrong guy. God has the miracle cure!

The Bible story that comes to mind is from Genesis 29:16-30 where Jacob falls in love with Laban's younger daughter, Rachel. He falls so madly in love with her that he offers to work seven years for her father in return for marriage to Rachel. But, after seven years, Laban tricks Jacob and instead gives him the eldest daughter, Leah, who had "weak eyes and dull eyes." No beautiful Rachel!

Can you imagine how angry Jacob must have been? Is it any different from all the time and effort we put into a relationship or marriage only to find out we ended up with the wrong person?

Watch what Jacob does, though. He keeps his eyes on the prize. Jacob perseveres and works another seven years to marry his true love. Ahhhh.....Isn't that romantic? Well, not for a guy who on top of having to live with a woman whom he was deceived into marrying had to work harder for his true love. And, can you imagine how Rachel must have felt to see her sister marry her dreamboat? Have we ever been envious of our "sisters" who get married while we remain in the waiting room?

Maybe Jacob has a lesson for us. Girls, let's not allow past relationships to strangle our vision for a good future.

Abba - Daddy
Thank you for loving me so much - even before I knew you
I thank you that you showed me what you're willing to do for me - you sent your Son Jesus to stand in for my sins
Forgive me, Daddy, for not believing that you would have good things for me
I want to invite you now to come into my heart
and search for any unforgiveness or bitterness because of past hurts or disappointments
I ask you to forgive me for holding on to those hurts
I choose to forgive those who have hurt me - including myself
and I let go of any ungodly expectations I may still have because of the past
Clean up that room in my heart where I kept all the hurt
And, fill it up with your love and with Your truth (the Word)
Amen!
Myrna at 9:41 AM

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your prayer. Even after we get married, we still need Him to continuosly work in us. As you already know it's a never ending process. Thank you for your obedience. You blessed me today.

February 21, 2007 at 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home