Singles Out Loud

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

When Josie Met Todd: Part II

This concludes our week-long series of testimonies from "former singles." I want to thank the three couples who contributed their stories to SinglesOutLoud. Through their stories, told with an open-heart, I have been encouraged and reminded of God's faithfulness!


My breaking up with Todd was always a pre-emptive strike to protect my
heart when Todd would question out loud whether or not he loved me,
felt "enough" passion for me or doubted that I was "the one." It was
deeply painful.

When Todd brought me flowers over the cedar fence, I had broken up
with him because I had no desire to plough through his commitment
issues any further. When he arrived, I was on the phone with a
girlfriend realizing that I was in fact screwed because I was deeply
in love with him.

Todd and I only talked about marriage after seven months. We hadn't
dug up the "relationship plant" every couple of weeks to see how it
was growing so after seven months we were able to rest on what it had
become.

Todd is immeasurably more than anything I could have expected. We do
love each other flaws and all, but he is much more forbearing than I
am.

Knowing what I know now about marriage five years on, I do recommend
old-fashioned courting. If a guy wants to ask you out, let him do it!
Don't exchange numbers. A guy needs to decide for himself that he is
really interested in you.

With the wisdom of hindsight, I can see in our dating relationship
that I unwittingly called Todd higher into the man I wanted him to be.
I broke up with him possibly in order to get him to step up to the
plate but without any definite expectation that he would. It wasn't a
game, I was setting a standard. On each occasion Todd came back
better than before. You get what you tolerate and you only have the
kind of leverage I had while you're dating.

Lastly, I am grateful that Todd and I did not have intercourse before
marriage. I had slept with Chris - a crisis decision to keep the
thing alive early on. That one-flesh bonding created a bondage that
made it almost impossible for me to leave a relationship I knew was
wrong - and I lost four years in the process.

Todd and I will be married five years in May. I don't know of any
other couple who have as much fun as we do. We drive each other crazy
and we love each other crazy. And we tell each other we love each
other at least ten times a day.

If you'd like to share your thoughts on this story....or share your story, click on the comment section below.

Labels:

Myrna at 10:11 AM

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does make you wonder!

April 5, 2007 at 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home