Singles Out Loud

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Finding the Funny Bone in Online Dating

Do you remember all the Bible stories about how couples would meet at the well? Abraham's servant found Isaac's future wife at the well or spring. Then Jacob found his future wife Rachel at the well. It just seems as if there was alot of socializing by these wells. What about now? Have all the wells dried up?

It felt that way one lonely night until I heard these seductive words "Imagine finding the one person in the world with whom you are meant to be...." It was an ad from e-harmony. I prayed about it as I try to do before venturing into the dating-sphere and I signed up for the three-month adventure.

BTW, if you're discerning if you should take a leap into cyber-dating, you may want to read Ten Points to Ponder About Online Dating by Carolyn McCulley who wrote Did I Kiss Marriage Good-bye? and the blog SoloFeminity. And, the co-ed blog, The Love Doug-ter: Thoughts on Adult Christian Singleness recently featured an entry, To Click or Not to Click, that gives a guys' point of view on cyber-dating tips.

Of course, every one's journey in eharmony is unique to them, but I found the men to be alot older and with some funny criteria. Take for example, the 45-year-old pastor who was impressively spiritual and biblical as one would expect from a pastor. The spirituality tapered somewhat - at least in my eyes - when he underscored that he couldn't live without an attractive helpmate to work with him. OK, I thought, men are visual, so can I really judge him on that criteria?

Then...his profile indicated that he must have a spouse who has saved herself sexually for marriage. Hmmm. Let's see. He's 45. I may be wrong in my interpretation but could he be dreaming of a 20-something year- old? But, wait. He adds another must-have ingredient. She must be willing to "explore our sexual desires with passion and understanding." I won't go any further with this one....Just laugh, I say.

But the funniest one was the guy whose answer to the question about the things he can't live without was....Reese's peanut butter cups! He was very cute..... and round.

I later decided to try another well....Christian Cafe. That's when a friend and I discovered, after comparing funny emails, that we were being cyber-courted by the same guy who referred to both of us as "princess." All the while, I had thought I alone held that coveted crown.

The email that almost made my funny bone break because I couldn't contain the laughter was this completely unedited note:

the smile on your face really put me on. i just imagine what great you cold do in my lifge with that, as i have seen that in a few years now..how are you mind showing me the angel you are? and the powers of your smile...cheers you are really admirable.

You know.... all I can do is keep laughing and loving God, loving - only from afar - the guys who have made me laugh on the internet. Why? Because God calls us to love. And, I say we have to have a sense of humor in cyber-dating. So, just laugh!

Labels:

Myrna at 5:07 PM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a good online dating story, and those are some good ones! Plus, I look at it as an investment in blog research. :-)

March 9, 2007 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger Myrna said...

Yes, someone should collect these stories, put a book-cover that's appealing to guys and sell it to them. Each chapter would have tips on how not to do online dating. Even if it doesn't sell, it might make someone laugh....alot!

March 9, 2007 at 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home